Does Bulgaria have the top best places for tourists? Are there outstanding tourist attraction centers in the country? Although, Bulgaria is one of the most underrated countries in Europe. it encompasses so much beauty in architecture, culture, and a long and interesting history.
Bulgaria has so much to offer in the world of tourism. There are numerous tourist attraction centers in the country and the best cities to explore. In this article, we will list the best places to visit in Bulgaria, things to do in Bulgaria, and many other important information about the country.
Table of Contents
List of the best places to visit in Bulgaria:
Below is the list of the best places to visit in Bulgaria:
- Sofia: this is one of the largest and oldest cities in Europe. It is one of the European destinations with the most incredible monuments retracing almost 2000 years of history. Some of the outstanding tourist attractions in Sofia city are; the Vitosha mountains, St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral, and the Roman remains, Sofia is a perfect destination for a cultural city break, shopping, or for a city break with friends to enjoy its nightlife.
- Varna: Varna is a famous seaside resort in the country of Bulgaria. you can admire the “Gold of Varna” 6000-year-old Thracian jewelry discovered in a necropolis which is now on display in the archaeological museum.
- Veliko Tarnovo: it is located on top of Mount Tsarevets which culminates the Tsarevets fortress, ed one of the best castles in Bulgaria.
- Belogradchik: this is one of the best places to visit in Bulgaria and a small town in the northwest part of Bulgaria. it is near the border with Serbia and is known for its unique rock formations and a fortress neatly incorporated into them.
- Rila Monastery: is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the biggest attractions in Bulgaria. It is famous for a reason. Rila Monastery Locate some 120 km away from the capital. The beautiful buildings you can admire today date back to the mid-19th century.
- Rila Mountains: as a lover of nature and mountain hiking Rila Mountain is the perfect tourist site for you. Being the highest mountain range in the country (or even in the Balkans). It is also the 6th highest mountain range in Europe! The highest peak of Bulgaria – Musala (2925 meters above sea level) is located in Rila Mountains too.
List of tourist attraction centers in Bulgaria:
Below is the of tourist attraction centers in Bulgaria you should try out for an adventurous vacation:
- Bansko: This mountain town is Bulgaria’s largest ski and snowboard resort and perches on the edge of Pirin National Park.it is a perfect tourist attraction center for outdoor fun lovers. In winter there are super facilities – alpine and cross-country skiing, ice skating, and dips in the natural hot springs, amazing cozy restaurants to visit.
- Melnik: Melnik has a population of less than 400. It is located in the very south-west of the country and is the smallest town in Bulgaria. The place is known for its wine-making traditions, the wine has been produced here since the 14th century.
- Koprivshtitsa: this is a beautiful town that is rich in both history and culture. The dominant house structure in the town is traditional Bulgarian architecture. Although, its origin is not known It can be confirmed that it was destroyed by fire many times.
- Nesebar: Nesebar also called the pearl of the black sea is known for its beautiful ruins and superb beaches. Some of the tourist attractions on this site include; St.Stefan Church which dates back to the 11th century and The Church of Christ Pantocrator, which was created in the 13th century. The last is a great example of medieval architecture, as it is very well-preserved.
Things to do in Bulgaria:
There are several activities to keep one busy in Bulgaria while having fun and creating memories, below is the list of things to do while in Bulgaria:
- explore the ancient city of Nesebar.
- visit the Sozopol old town.
- attend a Bulgarian festival.
- engage in winter sports games in Bansko ski resort.
- take a work to Varna.
- visit some of the beaches in the country.
- go mountain hiking in the Rila mountains.
- visit and explore the Rila monastery.
- visit the Bulgarian castles.
- go for an outdoor adventure at Vitosha Mountain.
where is the capital city of Bulgaria?
Sofia is the capital and largest city of Bulgaria. The city is located at the foot of Mount Vitosha in the western part of the country. It occupies a strategic position for commercial, manufacturing, transport, and cultural purposes.
Sofia is the 15th largest city in the European Union with a population of about 1.3 million people. It has been ranked by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network as a Beta city. Many of the major universities, cultural institutions, and commercial companies of Bulgaria are concentrated in Sofia. Sofia’s development as a significant settlement owes much to its central position in the Balkans. It is situated in western Bulgaria, at the northern foot of the Vitosha mountain.
We hope that we have been able to provide you with adequate information on the best places to visit in Bulgaria and tourist attraction centers. we hope this information will make planning your trip much easier. Do well to share this with friends.