Best places to visit in Bhutan! Bhutan is a unique tourist destination. However, tourist in Bhutan started in 1974. Bhutan (which is called Druk Yul locally) means ‘Land of the Thunder Dragon’ and the country is as epic as it sounds.
As an epic country with one of the best tourist attractions,we will highlight some of the best places to visit in Bhutan to create beautiful memories.
Table of Contents
List of the best places to visit in Bhutan 2024
- Taktsang Palphung Monastery: famous as ‘Tiger’s Nest,’. Taktsang Palphung Monastery is one of the most prominent places to visit in Bhutan and fascinates photographers, adventurers and pilgrims alike. The monastery has a unique architecture. The construction of the temple complex dates back to 1692. Located 3120 meters above the sea level in Paro Valley, this monastery is the cultural icon of Bhutan.
- Buddha Dordenma: is a perfect tourist destination for lovers of art. It is a giant golden Shakyamuni Buddha statue construct to commemorate the anniversary of fourth king of Bhutan Jigme Singye Wangchuk.
- Chele La : this is a picture perfect sites in Bhutan. It is the highest motorable pass in Bhutan. It situates at a height of almost 4000 meters above the sea level. The site is 35km away from Paro town.
- Punakha Dzong: literally translates to “the palace of great happiness or bliss”. It is popular among tourists for its impressive architecture. This dzong has a massive historical significance as it is the place where all of Bhutan’s kings have been crowned.
- The Tashichho Dzong (Thimphu Dzong), Thimphu: is a buddhist monastery and fortress it is at northern edge of the city close to the western banks of Wang Chu. It has been the seat of the government from the year 1952 and at the present time it is home to the throne room and many other offices of the king such as the ministries of Home Affairs, finance and the secretariat. This is a popular tourist site.
- Punakha Suspension Bridge: is one of the best places to visit in Bhutan. The bridge spans over Po Chhu River. Being 160m long, it is one of the longest suspension bridges in Bhutan. The bridge connects Punakha Town with Punakha Dzong.
Things to buy during vacation in Bhutan:
There are different beautiful gift items to buy during your visit in Bhutan. We will give you a list of possible gift items you can find.
- Thangka paintings or local paintings
- Bhutanese crafts: include items like decorative vases, wall hangings, statues, bags as well as bamboo and paper products.
- Textiles : traditional woven textiles includes; Adang Rachu, Mathra and Khamar,kira, Gho. Textiles like Bumthap or Yathra are woven out of sheep wool and yak hair.
- Postal stamp
- Buddhist Sculpture
- Wooden Products
- Wooden Mask
- Apparels and accessories
- Meditation Products: There are a lot of options to choose from like incense sticks, prayer flags, prayer beads, prayer bells, resin statues and much more.
Is visa required to gain entry into Bhutan?
YES. With the exception of only visitors from India, Bangladesh and Maldives, all other visitors travelling to Bhutan will need a visa. This visa can only be given to individuals who have fulfill all the necessary requirements and conditions met.
Is Bhutan interested in Tourism ?
Bhutan has so much interest in tourism. Tourism in Bhutan began in 1974, when the Government of Bhutan, put in effort to raise revenue and to promote Bhutanese unique culture and traditions to the outside world. In 1974 a total of 287 tourists visits the Kingdom of Bhutan. The number of tourists visiting Bhutan increased to 2,850 in 1992, and rose dramatically to 7,158 in 1999.
Things to know about Bhutan:
Bhutan is a country in the Asia continent. It locates right in the Himalayas. It is a landlocked country east of Nepal, between India, China and Tibet. Bhutan has never been colonized, It is a largely Buddhist nation and the capital is at Thimphu. Out of all of the regions in South Asia, Bhutan is the second least populated nation after the Maldives – there are just over 800,000 people living there.
Although,there are certain restrictions to some tourist site in the country, Bhutan is one of the best tourist destination for lovers of arts and pilgrims.