Do you plan for an holiday trip in any country within the western part of Africa? Then Sierra Leone is a perfect destination for your trip.
Sierra Leone is a paradise in Africa . Although, it remains one of the most underrated tourist destinations in Africa. The country lies between Guinea and the beautiful country of Liberia. This gem offers a blend of natural beauty and cultural richness that’s simply irresistible.
In this article we will list out some of the best places to visit in Sierra Leone, what to do while at Sierra Leone and many other important informations.
Table of Contents
List of the best places to visit in Sierra Leone:
Below is the list of the best and most beautiful places to visit in Sierra Leone for a fun vacation:
1. Banana Island:
Banana Island in Sierra Leone captures the essence of Sierra Leone’s beauty. This island is best for snorkeling enthusiasts. The island also take one back to history, with ruins of slave trade forts serving as a poignant reminder of the past.
2. Bintumani Mountain:
Climbing the height of Bintumani Mountain is a dream for many adventure enthusiast. The mountain is also home to a variety of flora and fauna, making it a hotspot for biodiversity.
Freetown is the capital city of sierra Leone. It serves as channel to all Sierra Leone has to offer. From its lively markets to its historic sites, Freetown is a city that invites exploration. You can always Start your journey at the Cotton Tree, an iconic symbol of the city.
4. Gola Rainforest National Park:
This is one of the best places to visit in Sierra Leone and you’ll find yourself awestruck in a world of natural wonders. This area is a sanctuary for a diverse range of wildlife, from colorful butterflies to elusive forest elephants.
5. Lakka Beach:
Lakka Beach is Known for its calm waters and pristine sands, it’s a perfect spot for relaxation and reflection. This is a perfect site for watersports enthusiast some of the outstanding activities in the site includes; Kayaking and paddleboarding.
6. Outamba Kilimi National Park:
This is one of the outstanding National wildlife park in Africa for those who have intersts in wildlife exploration. The park is home to an impressive array of animals, including antelopes, warthogs, and even hippos.
List of Tourist Attraction Centers in Sierra Leone:
1. Tiwai Island:
Tiwai Island remains one of the most famous conservation spots in Sierra Leone. A rare draw away from the coast, the riparian land is home to some of the last remaining virgin rainforest in Sierra Leone.
2. The Turtle Islands:
This Island is a one of the picture-perfect tropical paradise you would ever visit. This archipelago of eight is made from a patchwork of swaying palm blooms and mangrove.
3. Cotton Tree:
This is one of the best and famous places to visit in Sierra Leone. It is Freetown’s best known sight, this cotton tree is older than the city itself.
4. Bunce Island:
This was the center of slave trading in Sierra Leone . Bounce was fortify by British enslavers and used as a holding point for thousands of enslaved people, before being forced on the voyage through the Middle Passage.
5. Rogbonko Village:
You can find Rognonko Village about three hours north of Freetown, it’s one of the best community-based projects in Sierra Leone and a good option to experience village life. Activities here are purely traditional and indeginous.
Accommodation is in traditional houses with thatched roof, with no electricity – allowing you to enjoy the beauty of the sky at night!
Things to do during your visit to Sierra Leone:
There are so many interesting activities to engage in when visiting sierra Leone. Below is the few ones you can try:
- Visit the beautiful beaches available in the city. From Freetown to other amazing town in the country.
- You can take pictures of the amazing sunset as an art work.
- Pay a visit to Tacugama to see chimpanzees. Here is the sanctuary that rescues injured and orphaned chimpanzees.
- Visit Freetown and Bunce the center of slave trading in Sierra Leone to get in contact with the history of the locals.
- Visit and admire the ancient cotton tree that is almost older than the country itself.
- Take a walk to the different islands in the country for relaxation and refreshments.
- You can join the street child marathon in Makeni.
Sierra Leone cultural meals you should try out during your visit:
There are several delicious and tantalizing cultural and indeginous meals in Sierra Leone you should try, below are few of them:
- Cassava leaf stew
- Granat soup
- Coconut cake
- Plantain chips/fries
What are the local laws in Sierra Leone?
Before you visit sierra Leone there are important local laws regulating the country that must be strictly adhered to, which includes:
- Don’t use or carry illegal drugs. Penalties for drug offences include mandatory jail terms.
- It’s illegal to export precious minerals without a licence from the Ministry of Mines and Resources.
- Be careful when taking photos. It’s illegal to take pictures or videos of government buildings, airports or bridges. These areas may not have signs. If you’re unsure, don’t take photos.
- Same-sex relationships are illegal.
- Sierra Leone doesn’t recognise dual nationality. Always travel on your Australian passport.
- Dress and behaviour standards are conservative, particularly for women. Take care not to offend.
We hope this information was useful for your plan trip. Contact us for more information on related articles and visa sponsorship jobs.