Looking for the tourist attractions centres or best places to visit in Turkey? Turkey is a country in the Anatolia region, on the continents of Europe and Asia. Turkey is a country with distinctive cultures, values etc . The country is decorated with its rock-hewn villages, mosques, and countless archaeological treasures.
Here is a selection of the best destinations to visit during your visit to Turkey in 2024. Although, Turkey has a numerous tourist attraction centers one could visit. We have taken time to pick out very interesting places that will make your visit a memorable one.
Table of Contents
List of the best places to visit in Turkey:
- Istanbul: Istanbul is without doubt the tourist capital of Turkey. It is one of the best places to visit in Turkey . It has other tourist attraction such as; Sultanahmet and Eminönü which are the most popular and must-see neighbourhoods. You could visit mosques and the Grand Bazaar there.
- Bodrum: also called Staint Tropez is one of the best places to visit in Turkey. Bodrum is in the south-west of Turkey, bordered by the Aegean Sea, it’s a perfect destination for beach lovers, gastronomy, scuba diving and wine. One of the attraction site in this area is Bodrum Castle. It is ranked among the most beautiful in Turkey and was built with the stones of the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Kas: this is one of the best places to visit in Turkey. It is located in the province of Antalya. it has magnificent sea views, narrow streets , sublime whitewashed houses and their bougainvillaea.
- Cappadocia: is best known for its unique landscape. It is a geological wonderland in the center of Turkey. Here,the history of early Christians in Anatolia comes alive at the Göreme Open-Air Museum and the other cave churches and underground cities scattered around the valley. There are cave hotels and restaurants for relaxation. This site is best for rocks hikers and trail runners.
- Marmaris Natural Park: Marmaris is a popular destination for holidaymakers looking for relaxation, dining, bars and nightclubs. It’s the perfect tourist destination for partying and lounging on the beaches. If you long for nature, treat yourself to a horse safari in Marmaris National Park.
- Lycian Rock Tomb: This is one of the most best places in Turkey. During the 4th century, the Lycians believed that the deceased were taken to the afterlife by angels. In order to give the angels priority to help the deceased, the Lycians built monumental tombs at the tops of the hills.
- Antalya: Antalya is the best tourist site for those who are passionate half passionate about history. Antalya is surrounded by Greek and Roman ruins. It’s a place filled with old historic centre, traditional cafes but also the trendy cultural places.
- Izmir: Izmir is the third largest city in Turkey, although it is not a well known tourist destination. You can visit some of the interesting tourist site in the city like; the Blue Mosque, Konak Pier (designed by Gustave Eiffel), the UNESCO site of Ephesus and the lovely little Turkish orthodox village of Şirince.
- Olüdeniz is a promise of exceptional landscapes, breath-taking nature, incredible beaches. For lovers of height,you can treat yourself to a paragliding flight over Olüdeniz.
- Alanya: is one of the best places to visit in Turkey . There are different tourist attraction centers here like ; the Alanya Castle, the Red Tower built with stones and bricks, the Aspendos Theater, and the Damlataş Cave.
How is Tourism in Turkey?
Tourism has taken the greater percentage of Turkey’s economy. Turkey’s tourism is focus largely on a variety of historical sites, and on seaside resorts along its Aegean and Mediterranean Sea coasts. The country has become a popular destination for culture, spa, and health care tourism . Since 2021, Turkey stands out as the fourth most visited country in the world.
United world Heritage Sites available in Turkey:
Below is the list of Turkey’s World Heritage Sites, with their official UNESCO names, are as follows:
- Archaeological Site of Ani
- Archaeological Site of Troy
- Arslantepe Mound
- Bursa and Cumalıkızık: the Birth of the Ottoman Empire
- City of Safranbolu
- Diyarbakır Fortress and Hevsel Gardens Cultural Landscape
- Göbekli Tepe
- Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia
- Great Mosque and Hospital of Divriği
- Hattusha: the Hittite Capital
- Historic Areas of Istanbul
- Nemrut Dağ
- Neolithic Site of Çatalhöyük
- Pergamon and its Multi-Layered Cultural Landscape
- Selimiye Mosque and its Social Complex
- Wooden Hypostyle Mosques of Medieval Anatolia
Best things to buy from Turkey:
Here is the list of the best things you can buy from Turkey during your vacation:
- Lemon Cologne or Kolonya
- Turkey’s mosaic lamps
- Turkish tea glasses
- Olive oil soap
- Nazar boncuk
- Hand-painted Iznik ceramics
- Hammon accessories
- Baklavar for pudding
- Turkish coffee
- Organic towels
Do I need a visa to enter Turkey?
As an international tourist, a visa is required for you to gain entry into Turkey apart from the exempted countries. Turkish Tourist Visa is an authorization to enter Turkey and stay for a specific period of time under purposes in relation to tourism such as sightseeing, vacations, visiting friends or family members, etc.
A Turkey Tourist visa can be obtain in two forms, according to your nationality, example:
- e-visa for tourism purposes.
- Turkish Sticker Visa for tourists.
Note that if you are eligible for the first, which is easier and cheaper to get, you do not need to apply for the second.
We hope with this detailed informations. You can plan a perfect holiday with family, friends or spouse to Turkey. You can visit any of the selected best places to visit in Turkey for a fun adventure.